Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Jewelry Making for the Impatient


This post will probably be amusing to real-life experienced jewelry makers. But as a busy college student, I just don't have the time (or the patience) to sit down a research/read about the how-tos of jewelry making. I'd rather just make it up myself, as I go along.

P.S. One of my BFFs, Amanda, totally came up with this one on her own - and I thought it was such a great idea. A necklace from the mall is about 20 bucks, but this version is only about $5 or $6 (if you have some of the tools to start with).

Difficulty Level: Medium


Materials:

- A starting tool kit for jewelry making (I got mine from the craft store for $12ish)


- Chain

- Findings and Clasps

- Beads

(All of the above are found in the jewelry/beading section of the craft store).


Directions:

1. Start with your chain. How long do you want it? When you know, cut it to the desired length with what I call the "Cutter" 2. Take a finding. Take the "Bender"




and bend on side of the finding while holding the other side of the finding firmly (with the "Holder").

3.Slip this finding onto the last chain-link on your chain. While it's open, slip a clap onto the finding.


4. Bend the finding back into place. Add findings to the other end-side of the chain. Add more findings if necessary.
5. Many beads and charms come already assembled in a chic cluster - like the one my friend Amanda purchased. After your chain is all set, just slip the charm onto the chain.

What would have been $20 plus now can be done for under $10.




No comments:

Post a Comment